[aprssig] DGPS?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sat Apr 12 14:39:42 EDT 2008

At 02:58 PM 4/7/2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>I certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from playing around
>with DGPS, but what's the point for APRS? We aren't surveying. I did
>SAR for about 15 years... most of it before GPS receivers were cheap
>and available. Even with SA enabled, it was pretty amazing to glance
>at the GPS receiver and get a position within 100 metres of our
>actual location... within 15 metres when SA was turned off was nice.
>With better receivers and WAAS these days, it's usually even more
>accurate. If there was enough visibility to fly, even getting a
>helicopter within 1 km of our location was enough to talk the pilot
>down. I'm not concerned with "what side of the highway" a station is
>on or "finding buried treasure". Seeing what direction they were
>travelling is enough to determine that in most cases. If you have
>DGPS, use it, but it's more than I need.

         I've been on the road almost a week, so my apologies for the
late reply.

         I can answer this in two sentences --

         1.  I like using DGPS.
         2.  It gives me pleasure.

         I could expound on this a bit, but these two sentences
pretty well boil it all down.  Actually, we could do away with either
one and it would still say pretty much the same thing!  <G>

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk