[aprssig] DGPS?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Apr 7 16:58:42 EDT 2008

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage someone from playing around with
DGPS, but what's the point for APRS? We aren't surveying. I did SAR for
about 15 years... most of it before GPS receivers were cheap and
available. Even with SA enabled, it was pretty amazing to glance at the
GPS receiver and get a position within 100 metres of our actual
location... within 15 metres when SA was turned off was nice. With
better receivers and WAAS these days, it's usually even more accurate.
If there was enough visibility to fly, even getting a helicopter within
1 km of our location was enough to talk the pilot down. I'm not
concerned with "what side of the highway" a station is on or "finding
buried treasure". Seeing what direction they were travelling is enough
to determine that in most cases. If you have DGPS, use it, but it's more
than I need.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH