[aprssig] College tuitions

Corey Shields cshields at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 9 13:25:40 EDT 2008

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Its frustrating.  A real eye-opener. Nothing like what we
> expected...  If anyone else has APRS Ham kids going to college
> (that makes it germain to this email list), here is what we
> learned (the hard way).
>
> Don't save for college, spend all your money, buy cars, boats,
> and houses, go into debt, mortgage to the max, drive 10 MPG
> SUV's, don't worry, all of the top schools (and the government)
> will GUARANTEE to pay any or all college costs that you cannot
> pay.  If your kid is accepted, the top schools guarantee that
> they will pay whatever you need.

When I first met a "financial aid advisor" a decade ago, she crunched on
a computer and gave me a breakdown list that included a line item called
"Expected family contribution".  As the line said, it was just
"expected".  I laughed, always knowing that I was on my own financially
for college.  Sadly, those who are paying their own way are usually the
students least likely to complain about being asked to learn something
in class.

Anyway, on the ham side..  Please encourage your ham kids to get
involved with a campus club if there is one.  Here at K9IU, we (like
many other .edu clubs) are having a tough time with recruiting, and most
of our active club membership consists of staff and faculty like
myself.  Internet and cell phones have definitely bit into the hobby for
this specific demographic.

-Corey, KB9JHU

--
Corey Shields
High Performance Systems, Indiana University - UITS