[aprssig] rotate.aprs2.net issue?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 26 22:30:18 EDT 2007

Bill N6EF wrote...

> For the last couple of weeks I've tried connecting to rotate.aprs2.net
> but I can't connect; I get no DNS resolution. It worked a couple of
> weeks ago but isn't working now....

There was a DNS problem a week or two back. Can you get to
http://rotate.aprs2.net in your web browser? I tried a few times. First time
around, I reached a server but an error message from the server displayed a
"forbidden" error. The next few times around I got a page that displayed
"Speed is on-line!" It's possible that I was reaching a different server
each time. I tried adding port 14502... http://rotate.aprs2.net:14501/
and got the server in Japan every time.

Also, what happens if (assuming that you are running Windows!)
open a DOS window (run cmd) and then do...

tracert rotate.aprs2.net

Does it eventually get you to a server? I seem to be reaching one in Japan
each time. In UI-View, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting a few times.
There too I seemed to reach one in Japan each time. You should be reaching
one of 29 servers. The one that I'm reaching in Japan right now is about
half way down the list. You should reach one of the following:

rotate.aprs2.net 198.146.108.90
rotate.aprs2.net 83.211.85.116
rotate.aprs2.net 68.183.173.166
rotate.aprs2.net 206.123.154.98
rotate.aprs2.net 200.32.8.125
rotate.aprs2.net 203.166.5.140
rotate.aprs2.net 207.44.176.113
rotate.aprs2.net 70.88.84.173
rotate.aprs2.net 217.125.55.134
rotate.aprs2.net 85.188.1.32
rotate.aprs2.net 213.41.177.120
rotate.aprs2.net 195.190.142.207
rotate.aprs2.net 193.1.193.156
rotate.aprs2.net 213.254.1.202
rotate.aprs2.net 219.117.213.14
rotate.aprs2.net 148.208.146.10
rotate.aprs2.net 64.22.208.194
rotate.aprs2.net 208.29.0.20
rotate.aprs2.net 70.57.237.104
rotate.aprs2.net 142.137.27.177
rotate.aprs2.net 199.74.230.18
rotate.aprs2.net 131.155.192.175
rotate.aprs2.net 128.148.32.131
rotate.aprs2.net 202.49.254.23
rotate.aprs2.net 66.165.220.40
rotate.aprs2.net 195.117.239.5
rotate.aprs2.net 84.232.6.70
rotate.aprs2.net 195.225.117.7
rotate.aprs2.net 62.69.192.233

Hmmm... I tried pinging all of them and couldn't reach...

203.166.5.140
70.88.84.173
217.125.55.134
213.254.1.202
199.74.230.18
131.155.192.175
195.117.239.5

That's quite a number that seem to be unreachable... unless some of the
servers have "ping" disabled. Any comment from the Tier 2 guys?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH