[aprssig] Need Path Mentoring

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Tue Sep 25 14:54:49 EDT 2007

"Cap Pennell" <cap at cruzio.com>, Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:37:17 -0700:

>It is unfortunate that one must be held up to change VHF path settings just
>to travel across political borders.  The modern North American (traceable
>WIDEn-N) VHF network is friendlier and more effective than that.
>Happily, the modernization can be implemented by one station at a time.  We
>hope a modern mobile station using the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path can have success
>using _your_ local VHF network.
>73 de Cap KE6AFE
>
>P.S.  Jan knows, using UI-View32 as a digipeater can allow support of both
>traceable WIDEn-N and TRACEn-N in the short term.  But that antique RELAY
>alias is clearly too old and detrimental to VHF network capacity.

The question was not about how amateurs set up the networking system,
but how I as a traveller easily can adjust to the method used where I
happen to go.
(Yes, in my UI-View digi, close to the SM border, I support
travellers. When our group UIDIGI digi is set up and replacing my
UI-View digi, we won't be able to do that any more, and my digi will
return to fill-in status.)
I don't agree with the danes (OZ) in insisting on using TRACEn-N and
RELAY as fill-in, but I accept that they are consistent in doing so in
their country. Also, I'd hope that the organisations in Europe (or all
Region 1, for that matter) would agree to one standard (either the
north american standard or what Andy M0CYP is calling "EU Nirvana"),
and that there are no single digi owners or groups of individual
owners making a "system island" for their region, but as things are as
they are, I as a person who is often travelling to OZ would wish to be
able to switch system settings easily as we can travel across
international borders without stopping (unlike you in the USA).

And I certainly do _not_ wish to re-start the "paradigm religious war"
here.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway