[aprssig] TWO-WAY trackers!

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Tue Sep 25 14:39:23 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Brian B. Riley wrote:

> Thats easy to say when you live in Europe where a long afternoon's
> drive could easily cover three or four countries  and a bunch of
> digis... but here in the US we have places where an afternoon's
> drive won't even cross one state and digis are sometimes farther
> apart than you countries are wide ... 50 watts then can be highly
> appropriate. You are focusing on the wrong evil, it's not the
> equipment, it's the operator. The TMD7x0 has three power settings
> (5 , 25, 50)  and they are the choice of the operator. Education,
> not prohibition is the solution.

Also, on VHF, a bigger "footprint" might actually decrease
collisions, as stations are more likely to hear each other transmit.
I usually leave mine at 50 watts - the exception being places where I
*know* much less power would work, testing, or when I think it would
likely interfere with other communication (I would not park in the
local PD's parking lot, right under their tower, while running 50
watts and leaving the radio unattended, for instance, nor would I do
the same thing when driving up to a mountaintop repeater to help with
work on the repeater).