[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Mon Sep 24 23:25:56 EDT 2007

At 07:41 PM 9/24/2007, Patrick Green wrote:

>I wonder if D-Star would die if someone came up with a completely open
>version of digital radio.  I see all this interest in SDR and D-Star's
>licensing would make it inconvenient to make a software based radio.  Will
>this be the ultimate downfall?  Who here wants to buy a packet TNC when
>your soundcard can basically do the same thing?  Just a thought.
>
>73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.

Probably not.   As pointed out D-Star uses DVSI's AMBE codec.  AMBE is
slated to replace the IMBE codec in Phase 2 of APCO 25.  That is not a
coincidence or accident on the part of the JARL or Icom.  I'm sure they
looked at open source.

One, it puts us as ham radio operators into state-of-the-art in
communications for the first time in about 10 years.   It's so nice to say
that.   Are we Icom's lab rat for their rollout of commercial P-25 Phase-2
products?  Yup.

Two, it gives us a common platform with professional public safety
personnal.  When they catch up.  Actually I think AMBE is backwards
compatible capable with IMBE.

But yes, it would be great if someone came up with a open source codec that
supplants AMBE.  Which is, btw, starting to show its age.

Mark
KC7BXS