[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Mon Sep 24 12:42:11 EDT 2007

I just looked up a dstar 2m radio.... $139.  Fair price...  If you add the
digital module, that's another $189.  Hmmm.... kinda set me back as an
expensive module.

Then I put it in a different perspective.

How many of us have a KPC3?  What do they sell for?  $189.  How many of us
think twice about using the kpc3 with a cheap 2m rig?  In another vien....
How many of us plunk down $100 for a cell phone and pay $50 a month to use
it?  By the time you've had cell service for a year, that's $700 or more.

Yes, there are very few dstar folks to talk to, and until (if) it catches in
your area, you'll be all alone, whereas with a kpc3, you have a packet
infrastructure to use everywhere.

I just wanted to point out that if you look at it as a radio with a tnc
built in... and that TNC does data and digital voice, it looses some of it's
sticker shock.  The problem is like the chicken and the egg though.... it's
not compatible with current ax.25 on air.  But it uses FEC as I understand
it, which ax.25 sorely needs.  How many of us still have buggy whips in our
cars?

I'd be interested in playing with dstar, but i have no one to play with in
my area... heck no one around to even peek at their equipment.

We won't even discuss the price of the 1.2ghz highspeed data system.
Wes