[aprssig] Electricians and Plumbers [was: D-STAR video on YouTube]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 06:19:34 EDT 2007

Rewind the clock on almost any innovation and you will see similar FUD followed by either success or failure based on the tenacity of the innovator.  Ultimately, FUD occurs because "an electrician comes to a plumbers convention to show an electric-based solution" and the "plumbers" get aggitated (for a number of reasons).

D-Star is just such an innovation.  Kenwood APRS transceivers were, too.  I remember Bob being accused of "selling out" when they arrived on the scene.  The fact is that we yearn for commercial recognician yet, we discourage it when it actually appears.  It's an interesting social dynamic to observe.

Upon "leaving" (or ignoring) the naysayers at the Plumbers convention, the Electrician has the choice to either knuckle under or to mature the innovation.  I vote for maturing it, and wish the D-Star folks well in doing so -- it harms nothing and has the potential to gain us much.

Ev, W2EV

PS: Mark...keep the faith. :)