[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Sep 23 19:23:02 EDT 2007

See http://www.speex.org/.  There ARE alternatives.

> are people already homebrewing D-Star transceivers.  Can I shout that a
> couple of times like a little kid?  PEOPLE ARE HOMEBREWING D-STAR
> TRANSCEIVERS.   People are pushing for an open D-Star movement and
> development.

And they're having to buy AMBE chips from a single supplier.  Hams are
good at coming up with clever, low-cost technology - but the AMBE
requirement sets a lower limit to just how low-cost any implementation
can be.  For the price of the AMBE chip, you could get a reasonably
powerful DSP that'd run both the codec and any number of other functions.

In the end, the blame probably lies with us anyway - if the ham
community had come up with a better solution first, maybe we wouldn't
get stuck with Icom doing the 'innovation' for us.

Scott
N1VG