[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Sun Sep 23 18:45:44 EDT 2007

Once again in about a month this D-Star slamfest appears here.

I've addressed these issues before, but I will do it again.  Quickly.

I find it amusing that many people here were hurt by the Anti-APRS crowd's
comments on usegroups just recently, but I see the same type of FUD being
smeared around here in regards to D-Star.  Can you say hypocrite?

As for D-Star being EXPENSIVE.  It is not.  As I have shown before,
historically, D-Star is no more expensive than any newly released
transceiver in the Ham Radio market.  On an inflation adjusted price point
my IC-91AD is actually less than my FT-51R was a decade ago.  An IC-2820
with the D-Star GPS module is less than I paid for an FT-8500, a KPC-3, and
a Garmin 36.

Since a 2820, and the whole D-Star family, is priced competitively with
similar ham radio equipment please quantify how it's more expensive.  Just
shouting it's more expensive multiple times like a little kid doesn't make
it so.

Last time this conversation came up someone pointed out P-25 as an
alternative.   I think the vocoder for P-25 is made by the same company
that does the D-Star stuff.  And the licensing requirements and structure
are the same.  Hardware only, no computers, etc.   AND, there are people
already homebrewing D-Star transceivers.  Can I shout that a couple of
times like a little kid?  PEOPLE ARE HOMEBREWING D-STAR
TRANSCEIVERS.   People are pushing for an open D-Star movement and development.

A few days ago I personally heard D-Star activity on AO-27, voice,
callsign, and position.  Simultaneously.   How cool is that?

So please stop bashing D-Star.   It's another mode.  If you don't like it
leave it alone.  Go back to contesting on HF CW and let ham radio die
without you hastening it's demise.

For me, D-Star has renewed my interest in Ham Radio, and for the first time
in about 3 years, I find myself working voice again and checking into
weekly D-Star Nets here in Southern California.

Mark
KC7BXS

BTW, I'm working on a little writeup on the IC-91AD.   I will share it with
the group shortly.