[aprssig] All In One Digi???

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 13:39:50 EDT 2007

> Why bother with a D700 if you're using an external TNC?  You could get
> by with any dual bander.

The D700 gives a 9600 TNC and a fully dual radio - not just a
dual-bander.  The addition of an external 1200 baud TNC and a real PC
makes use of the second radio and remote control functionality to take
the standalone D700 from a basic WIDEn-N digi to a full two port agile
communications node.   That's far more functionality then a simple
digi or even cross band digi.

This would be used for a local or backbone higher speed UHF network
with far more functionality than will be practical on the base VHF
1200 channel.

> And I don't think the TNC-X has any remote configuration ability, does
> it?  At least the KPC-3+ you can reconfigure if you can get to it on RF.

TNC-X is pure KISS TNC/modem.  It uses the smarts, or lack thereof,
from the host PC.

Yes - the OT2 (I think that's the version) with full KISS passthrough
and built in basic digipeating would be better and provide a backup if
the the host PC ever went down.

Bill - WA7NWP