[aprssig] TWO-WAY trackers!

Arno Verhoeven (PE1ICQ) pe1icq at sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl
Sat Sep 22 13:52:02 EDT 2007

> I agree, transmitting without listening isn't good amateur practice.

Well if we start talking about decency, then I think that we should
include output power in the discussion. I personally think that the
TM-D700 and TM-D710 have a too big mouth. I believe that 6 to 10W is
plenty for a tracker.

I also believe that in some circumstances it is perfectly OK to use a
low power transmit-only tracker. After all, how many collisions do you
really avoid with a tracker that listens for channel occupancy?
Sure, you will hear the digi, and nearby stations, but the digi itself
will most likely hear a constant stream of data from lots of (distant)
stations that your mobile tracker will not hear. So even you listen if
the channel is free, chances are that you packets will still collide.
But a big mouth TM-D7x0 with 50W will solve that problem... right?

--
73, PE1ICQ  Arno Verhoeven