[aprssig] (OT) Nuclear Energy

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Sep 20 11:42:58 EDT 2007

The standard answer here is thorium and breeder reactors.  Not simple or
cheap, but it's a solvable problem, and I have more faith in that than
commercially viable fusion at this point.

As for proliferation concerns with fuel reprocessing, if I remember
right there are ways of doing that that'll yield materials not suitable
for bombs.  Of the top of my head, I think an excess of plutonium 240
renders the fuel unusable for bombs due to spontaneous fission.  It's
very difficult to process it for weapons use - not impossible, but it's
easier to monitor and regulate.

And in the long run, maybe the world as a whole is safer with a few more
nukes out there if it keeps a few billion tons of carbon dioxide out of
the atmosphere and reduces the need for coal mining and fighting over oil.

But we're getting a little off-topic...

Scott
N1VG