[aprssig] I-55 Perryville - Cape

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Sep 19 16:33:59 EDT 2007

Richard KC0RNP wrote...

> the radio never once said MY POS...

Of course, there are probably lots of D700 users on this list too. I went
there and searched for  MY POS and it came up with 481 hits. I enclosed the
search phrase in quotes "MY POS" got it down to a manageable 70 hits.
Looking at msg # 2929 June 27 2007... is the GPS indicator blinking on the
radio? BCON is ON? INTERVAL is actually set to transmit? However, it appears
you are transmitting, you are making it to an IGate, and apparently do have
a valid position from the GPS receiver. From your comments and reading on
the D700 group, you would expect to see "MY POS" when you are digi'd.

Maybe you just aren't being digi'd all of the time... or if you are, you
just aren't hearing and decoding the digipeated beacon. If the digi hears
other signals stronger than yours, there will be a far better chance (FM
capture effect) of it decoding the stronger signal. If you are being digi'd,
your not hearing it could be a function of noise, multi-path, mobile
flutter, or any one of a number of things that affect the transmission and
reception of radio signals. Even nearby transmitters could be desensing your
receiver. Even your squelch setting could be a factor of why you couldn't
hear the digi'd beacon.

Anyone can see what you are beaconing if you make it to an IGate. Only you
can see what you are receiving. If you want to do some troubleshooting, park
and change the path from WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 to the callsign of a specific digi
and beacon a few times. When you have satisfied yourself that you are being
digi'd by that particular digi, change the path the callsign of another
nearby digi and so on. Just remember to change your path back to
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 when you have finished your test.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH