[aprssig] Re: Fixed station Operator Present Bit

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 17 13:11:33 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Joseph M. Durnal wrote:

> Could that be because Xastir is actually good APRS software?  There
> are many others that are not.

No, I wouldn't put it that way at all.  They're all good in their
various ways.

Xastir _sometimes_ is more progressive in implementing missing items
from the spec, but that's probably due to the open-source model more
than anything.

A few of the apps out there are no longer being developed and/or
cannot be further developed:  Number among these PocketAPRS,
APRS+SA, and UI-View.

UI-View can only be extended through add-ons.  The source code for
the program itself is not available.  At some point in the future it
will become untenable to run it, unless the protocol remains at a
stand-still and future versions of Windows continue to be able to
run it.  In other words, one way to think about it is that it (may)
slow down progress.  Of course all the bolt-on authors will
violently disagree.  ;-)