[aprssig] D700A TNC Problems????

Ken H> sailingtoo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:29:50 EDT 2007

On 9/16/07, Doug Ferrell, KD4MOJ <kd4moj at kd4moj.org> wrote:

> Ken H> wrote:
> > > always the KI4ELU-7 station - but I still would not show up on
> > findu.com.  After I changed the settings to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 my
> > station started showing much more often.  Today I am planning a ride
> > over to Ocean Springs, MS and I'll change the path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
> > and see how that works.
> >
> > Thanks to all for their comments - I'm learning a LOT more about how
> > this APRS stuff works.  I just hope my radio doesn't have problems.
> >
> > Ken H>
>
> Ken one thing to remember, showing up in Findu, you are at the mercy of an
> igate. So if the Igate doesn't hear the digi or the packet, then you will
> not show up on findu. Doesn't mean you are not digi'ing, you are just not
> reaching the Inet. Seems you said in a previous post that the Igate was 3
> hops away. Maybe you or someone in your town can setup one. All it takes
> is
> a home station and a client prgm (such as Ui-View) to feed what it hears
> at
> your home station to the Inet. Then you will see yourself all day long!
>
> ...DOUG
> KD4MOJ
>
> Doug, as I said, sometimes it's 3 hops before I make it to an Igate -
> there is at least 1 Igate in Pensacole which should be ONLY 1 or 2 hops
> max.  BUT there have been times when it took 3 hops to get me to an Igate,
> either in New Orleans, LA, Jackson, MS, or else where.

I have considered setting up an Igate here, but have a LOT of learning to do
before I get that far.  I've got U-View up and running - partially.  It
receives nicely, msgs, reports, etc.  I also have my home stations showing
up on findu.com as K9FV - BUT I can not send msgs - they fail to send, AND
the raw packet shows an error.  It shows the first path as TCPXX* instead of
the correct TCPIP - yes, I have the registration number entered and it says
"valid" with a -1 in the validation number. I am getting LOTS of stuff from
the internet, and if I sent a msg from my motorcycle via RF link, it will
show up on my computer U-View program.

Steep learning curve with this stuff.  I will be MOST happy to talk with
anyone about setup and getting this stuff going - either email or phone.

73 de Ken H>