[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Sep 15 09:50:28 EDT 2007

This is off-topic from APRS, but I could not let this hearsay go unchallenged.  D-STAR digital voice does, in fact, have equal or greater range than equivalent FM configurations.  The reason is simple: it is a less complex signal occupying a smaller bandwidth.

Unlike AX.25, D-STAR is not packet based.  The DV voice data stream carries forward error correction which overcomes much of the single and multi-bit flutter that will stop an AX.25 UI packet.  I am not promoting D-STAR or disparaging AX.25 here; IMO, both have their uses and place (and yes, I use both daily).  The conclusion you made is apples to oranges and is an incorrect extrapolation of what Bob said to a completely unrelated technology.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net