[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 15 08:04:31 EDT 2007

> I'm running 10 watts of power on voice,
> but 50 watts of power on APRS.  I started
> using only 10 watts, but didn't get to the
> Igate very often, so upped the power to
> 50 watts and that helped some.

The APRS rule of thumb is that the range of mobile packet is at least half or less than voice.  Reason is simple.  Ears can ignore a millisecond of flutter, packets cannot.

That is why the standard for PHG range circles displayed on APRS maps were cut in half back around 1998 or so when substantial experience proved this.

Bob, WB4APR