[aprssig] APRS & the Marine Corps Marathon

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 11:24:50 EDT 2007

I got an e-mail yesterday that said ...Marine Corps Marathon coming up
in October has, in the past, used APRS to track runners.  Primarily
the lead & Tail End Charlie, maybe some various support vehicles...
I've always thought that this was a good application for APRS.  This
is a big event that could involve a lot of APRS stations updating
frequently.  The whole course is within about 10 miles, so nobody
should need more than one hop.  But they still might have outside QRM
to deal with.  Maybe a digi listening on 144.99 would help?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to assist, October is a busy busy month
for me as 3 of my 4 children, my XYL, Grandmother, and several friends
were born in Ocotber, but in the spring of 2009, I hope to put APRS to
work along side the voice communication assistance that hams provide
for the hike across Maryland event.  While there are far fewer
participants, the finish line is over 40 miles from the start with
some mountains in between. I'm looking to learn all I can about using
APRS to help with these events.

Thanks,
Joe NE3R