[aprssig] Setting up a digi

Robert Rochte rrochte at gpacademy.org
Fri Sep 14 09:51:41 EDT 2007

I'm looking for suggestions on how to set up an inexpensive digi in our
school building.  What I really want to do is offer a radio-to-Internet
gateway for APRS traffic - I probably have the terminology wrong (maybe
that's not really a digi), but hopefully the idea is clear...

Keeping in mind my almost non-existent budget, how can I do this
on-the-cheap?

I can easily supply a Linux-based server for this project and connect it to
our network (which connects to the Inet via a dedicated T1).  What about the
radio and antenna side?  The antenna could go in our main building, above
the fourth floor - would a simple wire J-pole or something similar work,
since it's already up in the air?  And what about an inexpensive radio?
Specific software that I need on the Linux box?

Thanks for any ideas...

73,
Robert
KC8UCH

--
Robert Rochte, Director of Technology
The Grosse Pointe Academy

NB: This message is an all-natural product. The slight variations in
spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty. In no way
are they to be considered flaws or defects.