[aprssig] WIDE settings

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 13:53:06 EDT 2007

Ken H> wrote:

> When looking at an APRS map, sometimes I see a solid green star - that
> is a "fill in digi" and the green star with the yellow "D" is
> considered a "high digi"???

What software are you using to display the symbols.?

There are TWO different symbols used to denote digipeaters on APRS
maps.  The original symbol from the primary APRS symbol set was a green
star with the fixed letter "D" inscribed. This was used in the past for
ALL digipeaters.

More recently the solid green star with no letter in it from the
secondary APRS symbol set has come into wide use.  This is SUPPOSED to
be overlaid with a single alphanumeric character to indicate the digi's
capability.  For example a number "1" overlaid to denote a WIDE1-1
fill-in,  a number "2" to denote a high-level WIDE2-2, a letter "N" for
a generic WIDEn-N digi, a letter "S" for a path-reforming single-hop
digi, etc.

This text character is encoded separately from the background symbol in
the APRS packet, and is combined with ("overlaid") on the background
star by the receiving station.  The problem is that many APRS programs
do not properly render these composite symbols. They show the background
symbol (the solid green star),  but DO NOT display the overlay character
at all.

Details on the APRS symbols, including overlays, are here:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/APRS/APRS_symbols.htm>

     <http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths>

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com