[aprssig] Q: Motorola Oncore - NMEA vs. Binary

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 9 17:40:39 EDT 2007

Speaking of...

> You have lost the ambition to build anything
> anymore.
> You have become users not experimenters

  IIR some Mot Oncore GPS units don't do NMEA, only
Mot binary.  I have one (a full Oncore development
module) that I know does NMEA (as well as full info on
both protocols), but several other 'bare' modules that
I have are indeterminate.
Other than powering them up and reading the output
(which was a bust on one that I tried) ... Anyone have
the magic decoder ring to tell the difference?
   These were used for cell/iDEN fixed site
development and while they only needed the 1 ppm for
freq reference disciplining, they might be ones with
just binary or both protocols.  I don't recall if
having the 1ppm precludes having NMEA.

73, Steve, K9DCI