[aprssig] A test for APRS in some lessor traveled Western areas

Tom Smith tom at halibut.com
Fri Sep 7 23:46:02 EDT 2007

This will be a test of APRS coverage on some of the lightly traveled roads
in the West.  My wife and I are leaving Sept 9 from the San Francisco Bay
Area to Reno (not lightly traveled), across Nevada on US Highway 50 to Ely,
down to Bryce Canyon N.P. and then on to Denver.  In past years I have been
pleasantly surprised at the APRS coverage from Highway 50 in Nevada (It is
called the loneliest road in America - actually it is not.  US 6 across
Nevada is lonelier)
I'll be KD6SOJ-9 with a D700 and a mag mount on the roof.  In Nevada and
Utah I'll  use WIDE1-1,WIDE3-1.  In CA and CO I'll use WIDE2-1.
We'll leave Denver Sept 18 or 19 and do some sightseeing in the Colorado
Rockies before returning home over US 50.
Tom Smith
KD6SOJ