[aprssig] paccom schematic

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Sep 1 17:37:40 EDT 2007

Nick Pugh wrote:

> Yes the tones are clean and not distorted. The high tone is about 6 db
> lower in amplitude the low frequency tone.
>
> nick
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Wells" <vk2tv at exemail.com.au>
> Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 4:15 PM
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] paccom schematic
>

>> Nick Pugh wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Pacomm Picopacket It will tx ox but is decoding 1 out of 4
>>> rx packets The input level is set to about 300 mv pp
>>> does the group have any suggestions??
>>> nick

>> Have you looked at the audio to the TNC with a CRO to see what the
>> tones look like? That's the first thing I would do.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv

Hi Nick,

You've just discovered your problem. The tones must be the same
amplitude going to the TNC, or very close to it.

Some modem chips are particularly non-cooperative when the high tone is
lower in amplitude than the low tone.

I wonder where you're getting the audio from in the radio?

The usual sequence is that tones of equal amplitude are fed into the
transmitter. Pre-emphasis cause the high tone to be approximately 6dB
higher than the low tone when transmitted. At the other end, de-emphasis
in the rx restores the tones to equal amplitude to go to the TNC.

Causes?

1. No pre-emphasis at the tx
2. Your rx is applying additional "slope" at the point you're grabbing
the audio.

My first attempt at packet was using a Multi 750 2m rig and for
convenience I grabbed speaker audio and had exactly your problem. The
high tone at the speaker was about 8dB down on the low tone.

You obviously have a CRO so start looking around the rx for a point that
provides flat audio.

Ray vk2tv