[aprssig] AEA PK232-MBX & Reverse gating packets

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Oct 31 23:08:29 EDT 2007

Adam KD0BML wrote...

> I asked elsewhere any they all complained that it would clog up the
> airwaves with unneeded information. I've had my IGate up for over
> a month and a half and have had only 1 other user that passed through
> town. The rest of the RF packets received were WIDE3s digied in
> from users 100+ miles up into Wisconsin. I don't think congestion
> would be a problem.

Keep in mind that the suggestion about clogging the airwaves was before you
came up with the information that you had only heard one other station in a
month and a half. I take it that the one station you heard was direct and
not via any digis, but keep in mind that if you flood a bunch of traffic
from the APRS-IS via any path other than direct, you will also be flooding
the entire footprint of any digis that hear you. Only YOU can know if doing
this will kill he APRS network where you live. Of course, if you completely
saturate the frequency, a lot of people will tell you about it - hi!

As to how to do it, just click on FILE - EDIT IGATE.INI and then go to INET
to RF and go about adding the callsigns or prefixes (wildcards accepted) and
choose what to send to RF... e.g.  beacons, objects, all, by destination,
recipient and go at it.

Keep it in mind that you have been warned that this is probably not a good
thing. If you've been following the list recently, you will see that VK5ZEA
has been beaconing traffic to RF for all stations within 380 km of his
location. However, there is very little APRS activity within 380 km of his
location. Your situation may be different.

What an IGate would normally gate to RF would be messages for local
stations.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH