[aprssig] NWSRVR

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 18:33:33 EDT 2007

John,K0QH wrote:

> Richard N. Piper IV wrote:
>
>> This idea came to me last night after using CGSRVR. What if someone
>> came up with a server NWSRVR and when  you send to NWSRVR with the
>> message of NW <State Code> NW <State Code> you would get back all the
>> National Weather Watch and Warnings for that State.
>>
>> Example send a message NWSRVR with the text of the message being NW IL
>> NW IL you would get all the National Weather Watch and Warnings sent
>> back to you on APRS
>>
>> KCORNP
>> Richard N. Piper IV
>

> Already done, see,
>

> http://www.wxspots.com
>
>  John,K0QH

That's a neat looking program and I'll have to play with it, but I don't
think that's what Richard was thinking of.

At least I understood it as being able to ping the notional NWSRVR via
RF from an HT, mobile or portable set up in the field without local
internet connectivity.  I didn't see that on the system you referenced.

If someone were to build such a server, I'd also like it to respond to
county codes, or SAME codes to limit the amount of information being
returned over RF,  Example: "NW 039113" would limit returned information
to my county.  If a state is having a lot of severe WX activity, pulling
all warnings by state could be a large amount of data to send over APRS.

73
--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS