[aprssig] CQSRVR and JOTA/SCOUTS

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Oct 21 10:26:59 EDT 2007

Actually no "melt-down" will occur.  If all 20,000 APRS users (count for
over the past 30 days) tried to do a CQ FIELDAY, CQSRVR, APRS-IS, and
the respective local APRS RF networks could handle it.  That is because
the CQSRVR logic already prohibits beaconing a CQ more often than every
30 minutes and because all CQSRVR originated messages are unnumbered.
Of course, Field Day rules explicitly prohibit contacts made through the
Internet which would include this type of communication.

Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.  CQSRVR conforms
to APRS and APRS-IS requirements, and has built-in safeguards to make it
a non-issue with regards to network performance, both APRS-IS and APRS
RF.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net