[aprssig] D710 PTT mode (or D700?)

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 13:11:02 EDT 2007

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:38:58 -0700
> From: "Rusty Hemenway" <nnn0fjk at gmail.com>
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] Re: aprssig Digest, Vol 40,
> Issue 18
> To: "'TAPR APRS Mailing List'"
> <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>
>
> Alex
>
> You don't have to have the radio transmit your
> position every time.  Just do
> not select item 5 in the beacon text, and the radio
> will not broadcast your
> freq.  However it will still stop scanning until you
> press one of the scan
> buttons again.

I know I don't have to transmit my frequency.  That's
not the part I care about.  It's the very next thing
you say that I had an issue with.  The radio would
stop scanning unless I resumed the scan, presumably a
bug in the firmware that supports the frequency beacon
option.  I understand that it turns out to be
unintended behavior and at some point a fix will be
available.  But when the first mention of that bug
showed up and it seemed tied to this new frequency
beaconing option with no obvious way of restoring
functionality (PTT mode doesn't count, automatic
beacons don't happen that way)  I wasn't exactly
amused since that interferes with exactly the way I
operate my current radios.

So I'll just sit back and wait for the next few
firmware revisions before I consider a D710.  I'm sure
other bugs will crop up but that particular bug was a
deal-breaker for me on the spot.