[aprssig] APRSd/Javaaprssrvr

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Oct 16 11:27:23 EDT 2007

I cannot speak to ongoing development of aprsD, but I can speak to
javAPRSSrvr.

javAPRSSrvr is currently used in all of the core servers (aprs.net) and
aprs2.net servers.  It is also used extensively by IGate operators and
other tier 2 server operators.  It is used for APRS-IS subnetworks such
as FireNet.  There are now over 300 javAPRSSrvr sysops so I guess that
qualifies as making it the de facto standard for APRS-IS.

javAPRSSrvr was originally designed to address issues seen throughout
APRS-IS (not just aprsD issues) which were rendering APRS-IS virtually
unusable.  Through the active support of sysops such as yourself and
Roger Bille's javAPRSFilter, it has met and exceeded that goal.  Much of
the thanks also goes to people like aprsD author Dale Heatherington who
collaborated with me on the q algorithm and provided invaluable
expertise and experience which helped me avoid many of the pitfalls that
he had experienced in developing aprsD.

javAPRSSrvr continues to be under active development and support (the
latest build was just published to the javAPRSSrvr sysops).  New
features continue to be added such as D-PRS, callsign lookup server,
email support, and the CQ server.  With all of this, the primary purpose
and goal of javAPRSSrvr remains to provide the most stable and usable
data stream possible throughout APRS-IS.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net