[aprssig] Prius Power for Field Day

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:45:26 EDT 2007

>>> A whole lot quieter than those 120 dB
>>> generators that drone on all weekend!
>>
>> Honda EU2000i or EU3000i are a *lot* quieter...
>> and don't cost nearly as much as a Prius ;-)
>
> how many hours can one operate, and still have
> enough left to drive to the gas station for a
> refill?  The answer would be in terms of KWH/Days.

Problem is that the Prius when sitting in READY state (Engine
off, but with the computers on and monitoring the battery system
so that the Engine can start up and re-charge automtaically
draws about 200 Watts just sitting there.  Ill have to do some
calculations...

I think most field days draw not nearly as much current as some
of the noisey multi-KW generators I have seen drug out to these
events.  Nothing like a good honda for peace and quiet.

I think the philosopy on the Prius will be to turn it off, and
then only boot-up periodically to let it charge.

It's battey is only a 1.6 KWH battery, but one should never use
more than 1 KWH out of it without recharging.

Bob, WB4APR