[aprssig] Re: Japaneese had invaded Ham Radio

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Oct 14 08:55:39 EDT 2007

I've made TNCs at home, does that count?  =]  The Tracker2 was available
as a kit up through Proto C, but the production version is all surface
mount.  As I've been telling people on the Tracker2 list, if you'd
prefer a kit, just apply a heat gun for several seconds at 350 C and
smack the board upside down on your bench.

Figuring out which unmarked capacitor goes where is left as an exercise
for the builder.  =]

And if you don't like Japanese radios, how do you feel about Chinese
ones?  I just spent most of the day walking around a gigantic
electronics fair and checking out (among other things) VHF HTs.  The
Chinese stuff is getting a lot better, though not many models have FCC
approval.  Turns out the one I like best already has an exclusive
distributor in the US - who puts their own name on it and lists it for 5
times the wholesale price!

There are other options, though.  I found another one that'd be a good
alternative, if some effort was made to develop a native English manual.
  Depending on the shipping and duties, it might be possible to sell it
for under $100 - not bad for a small 5-watt HT with Li-ion battery and
drop-in charger.  And hang glider and paraglider pilots ought to be able
to use it legally on the USHPA commercial frequency.  It's brand new,
though, so I'll reserve judgment until I get a sample in my hands to
play with.  The speaker/mic connection is the same as the Kenwood, so
there's no shortage of accessories.

Scott
N1VG/VS6