[aprssig] OT question.

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sat Oct 13 22:31:47 EDT 2007

I dread asking my question on this sig, so please, please.... responses
direct and off sig.

I'm trying to find a "phone" type app that allows for voice chatting between
workstations similar to skype.  I had thought that skype would work w/o a
connection to the net since it is peer to peer, but the app won't initalize
w/o a network connection to the outside world.

These so called USB skype phones are simply sound cards that look like small
cell phones to the end user.... they appear as a 2nd audio device under
windows.  I'd like to find a chat program that does not need an outside
network connection AND allows me to select the 2nd audio device as the
target of the chat program.  This will allow the ringer to come thru the PC
speakers and the voice chat to come from the "phone".

Any ideas?  Even cheesy small programs are acceptable.

Is there any SIP software that will allow the use of a 2nd audio device as a
"phone" with asterisk pbx?  Can you bridge asterisk to skype?

I know, very off topic but there is just such a broad base of people here, I
couldn't resist.

Wes
--
In theory there is no difference between practice and theory.