[aprssig] Prius Power for Field Day

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sat Oct 13 02:42:52 EDT 2007

> I use a switchmode supply that comes from a Chinese manufacturer that is
> rated at 40A continuously. It delivers 44A before it goes into foldback.
> At some point thereafter (that I haven't bothered to measure) it trips
> on overload until the load is removed. The supply is also very RF
> friendly with S0 being the standing background noise on HF in my rural
> setting.

No idea who the manufacturer is, huh?  I found a few pictures online
with that model number, so I at least know what it looks like.  I'm
headed back out to the China Sourcing Fair tomorrow (I'm in Hong Kong at
the moment) and there are a few benchtop power supply manufacturers
represented.  Actually, there are 4 pages of power supply manufacturers
in the show guide, but a lot of them just do cell phone chargers and
small devices.

Wait, I missed the addendum - make that 5 pages of manufacturers.  I
don't know if my feet are going to survive another full lap of that
place!  I'll keep an eye out, though.

I've learned you've got to be careful about model numbers - one radio
manufacturer was showing an FT-1500 mobile.  Looks nothing like the
Yaesu, though.  Interestingly, ALL of their models start with either FT-
or IC-.  And another manufacturer has a TK-790, but it's a little HT and
not easily confused with the Kenwood mobile.

Scott
N1VG