[aprssig] Prius Power for Field Day

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 01:40:01 EDT 2007

--- Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> > 220VDC doesn't equal 220VAC.  Will the power
> supply handle DC
> input?
>
> Yes, almost all modern switching supplies first
> rectify to DC...
> For 240 VAC, it goes straight to a bridge
> rectifier and so the supply will run on 240
> VAC (or up to 350 VDC) (peak value of AC).

   The other potential gocha would be that on AC the
bridge diodes are conducting on peaks for only around
2-8 ms. every half cycle.  However, on DC, two of them
(I think as I haven't studied this topology) are
conducting 100% of the time...HOWEVER again, on AC the
diode peak current is quite high and on DC it is
lower...so all should be ok as near as I can see.

73, Steve, K9DCI