[aprssig] Prius Power for Field Day

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 12 15:31:04 EDT 2007

Now that I see that the 12 volt power supply works on 240 VDC
input, I can bring along a few of these to field day, and power
every tent's 12 VDC systems from the 220 VDC battery in my
Prius.  And if the battery runs down to 40% depth of discharge,
then the Prius engine automatically starts re-charging it with
its 10 kW generator.

A whole lot quieter than those 120 dB generators that drone on
all weekend!

Oh, and if the load is under 200 watts continuous and the sun is
shining, then my Prius internal combustion engine will not even
crank up.  Till the sun goes down...  See:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/APRS-SPHEV.html

Now I am working on 240 VDC connectors so that there is no
possible way for anyone to plug in the wrong thing to the DC...
Oh, and lots of fuses everywhere...

Bob, WB4APR

Bruninga
> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 2:58 PM
> To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] Kenwood KPS-15 switching Power supply
> in Europe?
>
> Thanks,
> I tried it on a low currrent bench supply and with the jumper
> removed, it started producing 13.8VDC with 160 volts on the
> input.  I raised it to 240 VDC input and it was still doing
> fine.  My smallest load was 1 amp on the output, but even that
> shut down the supply due to the 100 mA limit of my 240 VDC
power
> supply.
>
> But I think you are right.  I even see now that the catalog
> shows that supply is good for 120 or 240 even though there is
no
> mention of that on the nameplate.
>
> Oh and I load tested it at 120VAC input and at 21 amps it was
> down to under 10 volts.  So it does not produce the 23 amps at
> 13.8 that the nameplate suggests.
>
> Thanks!

KPS-15
> > > switching power supply? It is good for 23 amps at 120 VAC.
> But
> > > I see no nameplate indication that it can run from 220-240

> > and it does
> > > not have the little voltage switch to select... I see also

> > a yellow jumper
> > > wire near the input caps that would seem to possibly be
the
> > "switch"...
> >
> > I don't have one, but I did a search and found a page at
> > www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamps/4273.html
> > that indicates that "this power supply input may be
converted