[aprssig] SCOUTS to RF Broadcast Server???

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sat Oct 6 07:57:58 EDT 2007

My original recommendation is to not allow the "broadcast" from any one
station more than once every 30 minutes.  This would limit abuse but get
a message out to the registered users to let them know you are there.
It is not really a conference server but more like a group alert server.
The log out message should probably have the group "call" that you are
registered as allowing you to be registered with more than one group.

The server-generated messages use the originating station's callsign.
This is the primary reason why they must be unnumbered (no ACKs).  It
could cause an issue with some clients seeing ACKs for something they
didn't generate.

Upon looking at the message above, I would recommend something more
like:
To: CQSERV   MSG:SCOUTS CQ JOTA, from troop 995 Annapolis Maryland.

This would allow the server to use its own call to gather all messages
and ACK the message (much simpler interface).  Note that the messages
originated by the registered station are all numbered, receiving ACKs
from the CQSERV.  It would also remove the need to reserve callsigns in
APRS.  Note that there could only be one CQSERV.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl.net