[aprssig] APRS resolution

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Fri Oct 5 09:43:47 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Ken H> wrote:

> Hey guys - this whole thing about 1 foot accuracy vs 1 foot resolution
> is sorta silly - GPS just doesn't do that good.  The whole thing is a
> lot like measuring with a tape measure, then writing the results to
> 0.001 inch - just is not there.

There is no reason a GPS has to be the position input device for
APRS.  There is certainly no reason it has to be a cheap GPS.

Clearly someone has use for it, or we wouldn't be discussing it.

Certainly *I* have had use for more accurate positions than APRS
normally gives, but still within the accuracy of a GPS receiver.  I
would like to be able to transmit a position of, say, a Geocache
object and have it display (accurately) on my GPS in my vehicle,
rather than just show up "nearby".  Now maybe people in other hobbies
wouldn't care about that - that's fine, but having this capability
isn't a bad thing, if, like Bob keeps trying to explain, it's done in
a way that doesn't break everything that can't understand it.

It's definitely got it's uses, although, I agree, the normal accuracy
and resolution of APRS is fine for 99% of situations, and certainly
any moving vehicle.