[aprssig] GPS 18 5 Hz

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Oct 5 08:35:14 EDT 2007

Andrew VK4TEC wrote...

> Has anyone had experience with the Garmin GPS 18 5 Hz ?
> What baud rate did you end up setting the data rate ?

I don't have the 5 Hz model, but I didn't have any trouble finding the
manual & technical specs at
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=158&pID=8631
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS185Hz_RoHSDoC.pdf
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/425_TechnicalSpecification.pdf

The baud rate is configurable as the 10th item in the PGRMC sentence...
300 / 600 / 1200 / 2400 / 4800 / 9600 / 19200 / and for the 5 Hz unit only,
38400. There is a chart in the technical specs that shows how many
characters per second it can transmit at the various rates. I would think
the minimum speed would be determined by how many NMEA sentences you have
enabled, but the default setting for the 5 Hz model is 19200.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH