[aprssig] Dupe Checking....

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Oct 3 22:34:01 EDT 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> Proportional-pathing would help. That way, the trackers would
> still have a frequent update rate locally, but at least each
> packet would not be multiplied out 2 hops and 8 copies in all
> directions all the time.

What devices (other than the D700) currently do "proportional pathing" as
you describe it at the following page: Yes, I know that's the navy.mil
site... I found that link in Google. I just don't have the time to go and
search for the .edu one.
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/ProportionalPathing.txt
Oh... just spotted a .EDU "link" at the bottom of that page...
www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/aprs12.html

While proportional pathing has some merit, so does SmartBeaconing.
www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016924.html
and the following message where you said you agreed completely...
www.tapr.org/pipermail/aprssig/2006-November/016925.html
I see that a firmware update was released for the D700. Does that mean that
Kenwood could fix the oversight of not including SmartBeaconing in it? I'm
sure if you asked them to include it, they would.

> Good luck. We should make it a requirement for all one-way
> trackers to include a valid email in their beacons...

It could certainly be suggested. An email address would make it easier to
fire off a note to the user whether it was about something else, or about a
setting that was mis-configured. Including a voice frequency in their beacon
comment is also a good recommendation.

> and to monitor 144.39 voice alert (with their unused receiver).
> Then they would drive themselves nuts with all their frequent
> packets...

I can understand suggesting the use of Voice Alert (100 Hz CTCSS on 144.390
MHz when there's an operator present) but I just plain didn't understand the
comment about driving themselves nuts... I must be missing something there.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH