[aprssig] symbols...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 3 15:02:02 EDT 2007

> Could someone explain the purpose of the following symbols?
TIA.

> HOME / HF... is this just a station that has HF capabilities,
> or one that is
> running APRS on HF? Presumably not an HF gateway as there is
> a separate
> symbol for that.

Yes.  Depends.  If one has HF in the closet and never used in 15
years, then I would not use it.  If one is a frequent user of HF
and can use it on demand, then they might want to use the House
with HF symbol since it plots as a house with a dipole over it.

> YAGI - is this just an APRS station that is using a
(directional) Yagi
> antenna for APRS?

Depends.  I'd use it if my VHF rig was routinely used with a
beam.  This lets people know I am beam capable...

> NODE - is this meant for use as an object to advertise a
packet node?

Yes, that was its intent.

Oh, and while we are at it.  YACHT means sailboat.  Again, back
when it was first introduced in 1994 or so, I needed different
starting letters for each name to make my menu's easier.  That
is all long since OBE.  So use some of the names with a grain of
salt.

Bob

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR