[aprssig] Winlink Positions on APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Oct 3 11:18:25 EDT 2007

> Just to be clear, these WinLink posits do
> not appear on the APRS IS.  The WinLink folks
> use findU's direct web entry to supply these
> posit reports.  There is no way to feed these
> reports to the APRS IS and then to RF.

I understand about not feeding back to RF, but just to clarify,
it seems that you are saying that they are not in the APRS-IS
stream either.  Is that a technical or political limitation?  I
would think that we would like to see other boating Ham radio
position information be converted to an APRS format and fed into
the APRS-IS if we have access to it?

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> > During yesterday's Satellite demo of APRS via GO32:
> >
> > As I was zooming in on Annapolis, Maryland, to see our own
> > station, the map seemed lit-up with more stations than
usual.

http://mm.aprs.net/map.cgi?map=APRSworld&lat=39&lon=-76.5&call=*
> > &range=.5
> >
> > Then I realized it is the annual boat-show weekend.  On
closer
> > inspection, it seems these position reports are not on APRS
VHF,
> > or APRS Satellite, but are on WinLink HF.  Steve's APRS
> > FINDU.COM engine collects them from WinLink and adds them to
the
> > APRS system!
> >
> > Now, with the APRS format for including operating frequency
in
> > all position reports (and built-into the D710 radio), once
that
> > is integrated with the WHOIS system, then we will have one
> > picture for all of ham radio for finding other hams and
their