[aprssig] APRS resolution

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:03:52 EDT 2007

> So, what we really need is an APRS client
> software package which is night and
> day better than what exists today.  It would
> need to be prepared to provide a change
> over to opentrac.
>
> All the Kenwood D700 and THD7A owners would be
> left out, and this would be "a bad thing" for many.
> However, with enough devices and software to
> support it, a bit of rebel action could make
> it happen "on frequency"...

I agree with the first paragraph, because too many clients never
implemented all of APRS and only implemented a few things like
vehicle tracking and then never finished.  We need some working
clients that will complete the job and will keep up with the
evolution of APRS.

As to obsoleting all existing hardware, what is missing that you
want, that cannot be done within the existing APRS protocol?  So
far, the only two complaints were:
1) Not enough precision (APRS capable to 1 foot)
2) Not enough symbols (APRS capable of 3200)

This is not enough to scrap all existing kenwoods and move to a
new protocol on 144.39 in my opinion...

Bob, WB4APR