[aprssig] Wanted: small battery powered non-display GPS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 15:24:17 EST 2007

Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> Thanks. I know about the 201, and I'd really like to spend less than
> that. All I'm after is a GPS input for the D7; if I want a display,
> I'll use my eTrex.
>
> chris

It's extremely unlikely you will find what you are asking for since
faceless devices, almost by definition, are used with external devices
(and therefore with external power sources).  The self-contained
battery-powered devices are intended for stand-alone operation, and
therefor have local displays.

The Foretrex is very similar functionally to the eTrex (I think it
actually uses essentially the same firmware and displays), but it is
much smaller and lighter than the eTrex which is why I suggested it.

I suppose you could screw or Velcro a Garmin GPS18 or similar to the top
of a 4-cell AA battery box and then place 4 MNiH rechargeable AA cells
in it.  4 x 1.25 VDC per cell would produce 5.0 VDC which would be a
direct match for the GPS-18 without inefficient regulators.    The GPS18
only draws about 80-100 mA once it boots and locks so 2000-2500 mAH AA
cells should easily power the device for 10-15 hours at a time.   [Don't
try this with normal non-rechargeable alkalines since you would be
producing 4 x 1.5 VDC for a total of 6VDC or higher out!]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps