[aprssig] Beacon rate while travelling (was: Help!! TH-D700 reset)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Nov 27 13:13:14 EST 2007

Yes, I learned the hard way during a 2 week trip through the
wilderness of Utah, AZ, NM and western CO.  I set my rate to
onec every 5 minutes since they had good coverage and I was not
doing anythign special.

But after missing someone driving right past me, is when I
realized that at a joint speed of 150 MPH and 5 minute beacons,
and reliable simplex range of 6 miles or less, that we did not
even hear each other's voice-alert packets!

> Another consideration:
>   When traveling in areas where coverage is poor ( western
Nebraska, S
> Carolina), I have used a 1 minute rate.  Not knowing when a
> digi will be in
> range, nor for how long, due to fading, the 1 minute rate
> helps "insure"
> hitting something.    If there is coverage close to the
> highway, the mobile
> will travel through the area quickly and the "heavy traffic"
period is
> relatively short.  However, changing the rate for conditions
> is important to
> remember.
>
> 73, Steve, K9DCI
>
> --- Bob Burns W9RXR <k4rxr_ at rlburns.net> wrote:
>
> > At 02:36 PM 11/22/2007, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> > >They are 1 minute CQ's for a nice local chat.  Maybe I
should have
> > >recommended a 1 minute rate via ONE hop.
> >
> > Yes, that does clarify things. As a beacon announcing "I'm
> here!" to
> > other APRS users in the immediate area, a 1-minute rate
makes some
> > sense...as long as it doesn't clog up the network by
> digipeating over
> > multiple hops.
> >
> > >I agree, on arrival in any city or high density area, then
it is
> > >time to cut back, and especially when parked.  So, yes, I
> agree that
> > >1 minute is usually excessive for routine operations.
> >
> > This is where the problem lies. Too many operators think
APRS is a
> > set-and-forget mode of operating. I see beacons locally
coming from
> > people who just aren't paying attention to what they are
> > transmitting--home stations  beaconing at a 1-minute rate or
mobile
> > stations transmitting a status text stating their listening
> > frequency, but you can't raise them there. Filling up the
frequency
> > with incorrect or redundant information is as bad, I think,
> than not
> > beaconing at all.
> >
> > Any recommendations made by experienced users, especially
> with regard
> > to beaconing practices, really need to be qualified with
some
> > explanation and education. How many APRS users don't
subscribe to
> > this list and benefit from all the wisdom to be had here?
How many