[aprssig] APRS Station

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 04:26:08 EST 2007

Short (flippant) answer:
UiView on top of Windows XP, or Xastir on top of Linux. :-)

Longer more involved version:
You could "shrink" the vista partition, and make the machine dual, or
even multi boot, so you can have Vista, XP, and one or more flavours of
Linux for example, then use whatever as needed.

However, I hear that other people have got UiView running on Vista, but
you need to have yourself set up as an administrator (with all the
hassles and warnings that entails) or you have to elevate the privileges
of the program in the shortcut properties.  That, and it is useful if
you find and copy an older XP/SP2 file (C:\Windows\winhlp32.exe) and
replace the Vista file of the same name (backup the original Vista file,
just in case!) that will then allow older applications help system (that
use .hlp files) to run their help system.  That's also documented on
MS's site and others, as it's quite useful in any case.

Of course, to use UiView, Xastir etc with the TH-D700, you'll need a
"Real" serial port.  Avoid Belkin devices, too many people have had
trouble with them.  Mind you, what USB<>Serial devices are available
that work OK with Vista I don't personally know yet.   UiView can
"Share" the same port with the radio and GPS as standard, as the radio
can route GPS info to the PC, or you can build any one of the port
sharing devices, there is info in UiView's help system about that, I
presume similar info exists within Xastir too.

Lastly, get onto the Yahoo D700 list, and make sure you know how to
setup the radio so when you use the PC, it only beacons what the PC
says, and when not using the PC, it will beacon valid stuff on it's own.

Do the same for whatever software you decide on, both UiView and Xastir
have "active" support lists.  UiView's is on Yahoo, Xastir, not sure
where at the moment, last time I looked, there was a choice.

In essence all this is simple, but the devil is in the detail of course.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.