[aprssig] NMEA Sentence problems into SCS Tracker....from GarminEtrex

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 04:46:00 EST 2007

Jack Chomley wrote:
> Update!
>
> Well it looks like the Etrex needs an adapter cable between its
> proprietory Garmin cable and the SCS DSP Tracker. Its something to do
> with the DSR or maybe RTS lines. When I tested with the scope, the
> MAP76s was putting out data fine, with no terminal connected, the
> Etrex was sending NOTHING in the way of a readable level at all. As
> soon as the terminal was hooked up, away it went!  I wonder IF the
> output chip in the Etrex is being powered by the Terminal RS232
> port?.....looks like its a possibility.

Aha!  This sounds similar to my Garmin Foretrex 201 Wrist GPS.    The
serial port interface chip is one of the major power consumers in a GPS,
partly because of the DC-to-DC converter needed to produce the negative
half of the RS-232 signal swing.   (True RS-232 swings back and forth
between -8VDC and +8VDC.)

To conserve battery power, the Foretrex (and I also suspect the eTrex)
serial interface doesn't power up and start talking until it sees a
NON-ZERO voltage on it's INPUT pin.  (This indicates to the Foretrex
that it has actually been connected to an external serially-interfaced
device, since a serial port OUTPUT not sending data will normally have a
constant -8 VDC on it.)   This issue has come up many times on the
TinyTrak mailing list since the TT's OUTPUT line is set to zero volts
(rather than -8 VDC)  during normal operation, causing battery-operated
GPS units such as the Radio Shack Digitraveller, Foretrex and eTrex
units to not turn on when connected to a TT.

If this is the problem, connect a source of +volts through a 4.7K
resistor to the GPS unit's DATA IN pin. [The GPS will turn on with any
non-zero voltage, either positive or negative.] This will make the port
wake up and start sending data.  The voltage is not critical if you have
a resistor in series to limit the current.  You could use 13 VDC from
the primary mobile power source, or 5 VDC if you can steal it from
somewhere inside the TNC.    Note that you will have to disconnect the
TNC data-out line from the pin on the TNC plug before trying to pull up
this line going toward the GPS to +volts.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps