[aprssig] NMEA Sentence problems into SCS Tracker....from GarminEtrex

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Fri Nov 23 17:43:41 EST 2007

Jack,

You have only told 1/5 of the story.

We need to see the whole string.

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Jack Chomley
Sent: Friday, 23 November 2007 11:23 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: [aprssig] NMEA Sentence problems into SCS Tracker....from
GarminEtrex

Hi all,

Yesterday, my trusty Magellan 315 died, it was used on my mobile HF
setup, using a SCS DSP Tracker, which all worked fine. So....I hooked
my Garmin MAP76S up and away it went.
I decided to get a Garmin Etrex (basic model) for the job, as all I
wanted was NMEA V3 @4800 baud, which is what my other GPS units were
working OK with, into the tracker.
I set the Etrex up and no comms, check the interface settings. all
OK....same as the MAP76S, which works.
Despite resetting everything, still no go :-(
Next, fire up my RS232 terminal....yep NMEA data is coming out of the
Etrex fine, so I log the data sentences, THEN do a "read" on the
MAP76S and find differences?

Etrex  Sentences

$GPRMC
$GPRMB
$GPGGA
$GPGSA
$GPGSV
$GPGLL
$GPBOD
$PGRME
$PGRMZ
$GPRTE

MAP76S Sentences

$GPRMC
$GPRMB
$GPGGA
$GPGLL
$GPBOD
$GPBWC
$GPVTG
$GPXTE
$PGRME
$PGRMZ
$PGRMM
$HCHDG

Looking at the logged sentence types, there are differences?  I just
bought the Etrex new, so I would say the firmware is reasonably up to
date, maybe I need to try and load an older version, IF that is at
all possible?
My MAP76S is about 4 years or so old, and its firmware has never been
upgraded.
I would have thought that the $GPRMC sentence would have been
sufficient, for the tracker to work off.
So....I look to the collective wisdom of the group for a solution ;-)

73s

Jack VK4JRC