[aprssig] RE: WRT54G - now simple embedded computer

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri Nov 23 04:07:38 EST 2007

Buffered ports are not the answer, you still need to service the buffers
in reasonable time.   If you don't and you don't tell the external
source the buffer is full, you will still lose data.

It's not a hardware issue, it's a programming issue.  If you stick to
using an interpreted language like Basic on a microcontroler, even with
the 32MHz part, you may still have problems handling more than one data
stream at a time if you have to emulate the serial devices, even it the
code works without tripping up, the bit timing could be a little
"squiffy"..

If you can get into it with assembly language (or maybe C) and
interupts, even with the 4MHz part, two serial data streams running
concurrently should not be a problem.  But doing it relaibly will take
some skill in the software design.  (I used to do all that with a 4MHz
Z-80 in years gone by at 4800bd)

For a device to "translate" one serial protocol to another, perhaps use
a chip with at least one built in serial device, and do the second one
in software if needed.

73.

Dave G0WBX

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk