[aprssig] RE: APRS for One-Laptop-Per-Child

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:36:34 EST 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:27 PM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> I'd like to work with a scout troop of youth with their OLPC's have fun exporing and setting up their ad-hoc wireless network in a simulated disaster area.  Just working at the local RF level would be fun.  Using ad-hoc antennas to get everyone linked up.

I was a bit too negative on my first posting here...

As neat as the OLPC is, it's not the only game in town for small
networked computers.  The Nokia N770 is slightly over $100 and the
N800 is about $220 - in some ways these are even better then the OLPC.
 Many other small low power and cheap computers are either here or
coming soon.   I think even the Sony Play station Portable would work
for Ham and APRS applications.

We have great toys...

73
Bill - WA7NWP